Homemade Banana Chips are a healthy, inexpensive, and easy snack the entire family will love. Fresh bananas are sliced and dried in a dehydrator, oven ,microwave or air fryer!
- 2 bananas
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- To make these chips in the dehydrator, prepare a bowl with 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup lemon juice.
- Slice bananas evenly and add to bowl. Allow to soak for 5 minutes before adding to dehydrator tray.
- Dehydrate at 135 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 hours.
- After 10 hours flip the chips and dehydrate another 2 hours or until dry.
- In the oven we prepare the bananas the same as the dehydrator, letting them soak in the lemon water five minutes before placing in a single layer on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Heat oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for 2 hours or until dry, flipping after 1 hour.
- Again prepare the banana chips as above, soaking in the lemon juice.
- Place in a single layer on a microwave safe plate and microwave for 1 minute.
- Flip chips and season if desired, then microwave 1 minute wait 30 seconds and microwave one additional minute.
- If bananas are not fully dry add 30 second intervals until they are the desired crispness.
- With the air fryer I recommend using barely ripe bananas that are firm. Slice the banana thinly and soak the slices in lemon water for five minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat the air fryer to 360 degrees.
- Spray the inside rack with nonstick spray to make sure the chips don't stick. Layer the chips in a single layer in the air fryer and fry for 12 minutes.
- Check and if not yet crisp fry an additional 3 minutes.
You certainly don't need to season the bananas before drying but there are a lot of fun flavors to experiment with if you choose to change up the taste!
- soak in lime juice instead of lemon juice
- sprinkle with cinnamon
- add salt to enhance the sweetness
- 2 parts garam masala & 1 part chili powder sprinkled over chips
- sprinkle with brown sugar
- sprinkle with powdered peanut butter
- soak in water with salt & turmeric instead of lemon water
- season with pepper
- sprinkle with savory spices like garlic powder or paprika
Keywords: banana chips