Delicious French apple cake is an easy dessert recipe that pulls together quickly but looks and tastes like it came from a high end bakery! Dense creamy base with a light fluffy cake layer on the top.
- 4 large apples (baking variety is best)
- 3 tablespoons Calvados, apple brandy, or dark rum
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter, melted and slightly cooled
- powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9-inch springform pan with baking spray (or butter and lightly flour the surface.)
- Core the apples and slice into 1/8 thick slices.
- Place apple slices in a medium bowl and pour over the Calvados, toss to coat and allow to soak.
- In a small bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl add eggs and mix with a wire whisk until frothy.
- Add vanilla extract and sugar and mix until combined.
- Add butter and continue to stir.
- Add flour mixture a little at a time stirring constantly until batter is uniform.
- Fold in apples, making sure to include any remaining Calvados at the bottom of the bowl.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and pat down the apples with a spatula.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool at least 5 minutes before removing from pan.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving if desired.
- I recommend using a baking apple that will hold it’s shape for this Apple Cake. Varieties such as Granny Smith, Honey Crisp, Pink Lady, Braeburn, and Jonagold are all good options.
Keywords: French Apple Cake