Cranberry crumb bars feature a gooey cranberry jam mixture in between layers of shortbread crust that give you the perfect balance of tart and sweet. These bars are perfect for holiday gatherings or freeze to enjoy year-round!
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 sticks butter (cold, not softened)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 ounce bag (about 3.5 cups) fresh or frozen cranberries (*see note below for frozen)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 9 by 13 inch pan with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl and whisk to mix.
- Cut butter into cubes and cut into the flour mixture using a pastry cutter or two forks. Cut until completely combined and look like sand when mixed.
- Add egg, milk, and vanilla and mix well.
- Using about 2/3 of the crumb mixture, press into the bottom of the prepared pan. Reserve the remaining crumb mixture for the topping.
- In a medium bowl combine cranberries, 1 cup sugar, cornstarch and orange juice. Stir to coat the cranberries evenly.
- Spoon cranberry mixture over the crust, then top with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until topping is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
If using frozen cranberries, do not thaw prior to baking.
Store covered in plastic wrap at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator up to one week.
Adapted from a recipe by Betty Crocker.
Keywords: cranberry bars