Shrimp and Grits is a classic Southern recipe that is easier than you think to prepare! With just 30 minutes of cook time, this Charleston style Shrimp and Grits is fast enough for busy weeknight meals!
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt + dash
- 1 cup stone ground grits (NOT instant!)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 lb bacon
- 1lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- dash cayenne pepper
- Bring the water, milk, 1/2 cup butter and salt to just a boil.
- Add the grits and stir.
- Cook over low heat 30 minutes, stirring often to prevent sticking.
- Add the cheese and stir, cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a large saucepan cook bacon until brown, remove bacon leaving grease in pan.
- Add shrimp and cook for 5 minutes or until pink.
- Chop bacon and return to pan along with 2 tablespoons of butter, lemon juice, parsley, cayenne and garlic.
- Cook 2-3 minutes. Spoon grits into bowl and top with shrimp mixture.
- Serve immediately.
Keywords: shrimp and grits