Butternut Squash and Sausage Penne is an easy weeknight dinner recipe and tasty enough for entertaining!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded & cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 1/3 pounds sage Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pound penne pasta
- shredded parmesan cheese as desired
- Heat a large pan over high heat and add the olive oil. Swirl the pan to coat the bottom before adding cubed squash.
- Cook the squash 3-4 minutes stirring occasionally until browned. Transfer to a bowl.
- Lower heat to medium-high and add sausage. Cook 7-8 minutes until well cooked, breaking up until crumbled.
- Stir in the garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add white wine and stir constantly, scraping bottom of pan to loosen browned sausage.
- Simmer 1-2 minutes and return squash to pan.
- Add chicken broth. Heat to a boil then reduce heat to simmer.
- Cook about 15 minutes or until squash is very tender.
- While sauce is cooking prepare penne according to box instructions.
- When pasta is finished toss with sauce mixture and garnish with Parmesan cheese.
Keywords: squash and sausage penne