Amazing Blueberry cake is sweet, moist and perfect for coffee or dessert, especially in the summer when berries are plentiful! Can be served hot or cool.
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened, plus extra for pan
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Generously butter an 8 inch baking dish.
- In a mixer combine butter and sugar and beat on medium speed 3 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add egg, molasses, and milk and continue to mix until combined.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add flour mixture to mixer a little at a time while mixing on low.
- Pour batter in prepared baking dish.
- Top batter with blueberries, tapping lightly to set into batter.
- Sprinkle with tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 325 and continue to bake an additional 60 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack, serve warm or cool.
- Be sure to use butter to grease the pan, not cooking spray for better taste results.
- Spray a measuring cup with nonstick spray before measuring out molasses for easier pouring.
- Tap blueberries into the batter by lightly pressing them with the back of a spoon.
- Don’t omit sprinkling the cake with sugar before baking, the sugared top layer is part of what makes this recipe so special!
- This cake tastes delicious fresh out of the oven or served cool, whichever is your preference!
Keywords: blueberry cake, blueberry dessert