This is just the absolute Best Turkey Gravy Recipe. Made with turkey drippings from your roasted turkey, it takes only a few other ingredients like. butter, flour, black pepper, and veggies! Perfect for feeding friends and family on Thanksgiving!
- 1 cup turkey drippings, including fat
- 1 large carrot, sliced thinly
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk, sliced thinly
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups turkey or chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- After removing the roast turkey from oven remove drippings from bottom of the pan.
- Strain to remove any solid material and allow to sit 10-15 minutes for fat to rise to the surface.
- Skim fat off the surface with a large spoon, reserving 4 tablespoons of the fat and one cup of the drippings.
- Add turkey fat to a large saucepan and add vegetables and thyme.
- Cook over medium heat until soft, about 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over the mixture and stir until flour is absorbed by the liquid to form a roux.
- Continue to cook while stirring an additional 2-3 minutes or until golden in color.
- Add in turkey drippings while continuing to stir constantly. Cook about three minutes (continuing to stir) then add turkey stock and bay leaves.
- Bring gravy to a simmer and reduce heat to simmer for 10-12 minutes or until thickened.
- Strain gravy to remove herbs and veggies and salt and pepper to taste before serving.
- You may substitute butter for turkey fat if necessary and use chicken stock instead of turkey stock.
Keywords: turkey gravy