Homemade Best Green Casserole from scratch-no canned soup required! Once you try this recipe you'll never go back to using canned green beans and condensed soup again! Easy and delicious Thanksgiving recipe!
- 1 pound fresh green beans, ends removed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup fried onions
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil. Drop in green beans and cook for three minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook for two minutes without stirring to brown. Add 2 tablespoons of butter and thyme. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring mushrooms occasionally until deep brown on both sides and tender. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium-low heat. Add flour and whisk constantly until the roux turns golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Continue to whisk as you add heavy cream and milk. Increase heat to medium and simmer, whisking occasionally, until sauce thickens and bubbles, about 5-6 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from heat and stir in garlic and cheese. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove thyme sprigs from mushroom and arrange both green beans and mushrooms in a 9 by 9 baking dish. Pour sauce over the vegetables and stir slightly to mix.
- Cover dish tightly with foil and cook for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil and cook an additional 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle onions over the top of the casserole and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Let sit ten minutes before serving.
Adapted from Bon Appetit
Keywords: green bean casserole, thanksgiving, casserole