Light and tangy buttermilk cake full of juicy blueberries and strawberries. This is the perfect summer recipe, eat it for dessert or even breakfast!
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup fresh buttermilk
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 pint strawberries, quartered
- additional 2 teaspoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray a 9 inch square baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a mixer, combine butter, lemon zest, and sugar. Mix until fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract, mix on medium until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add half the mixture to the butter mixture.
- Add half of the buttermilk and mix, add remaining dry mixutre and buttermilk and mix until uniform. Do not overmix.
- Fold in blueberries and strawberries gently.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons sugar.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool 20 minutes before cutting and serving.
Each serving is 13 Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints.
Keywords: blueberry, strawberry, buttermilk, cake