Amish Friendship Bread is the perfect recipe to share with friends. Now you can make your own with this starter recipe along with a free printable for gifting starter to others!
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
For Feeding the Starter (2 feedings total)
- 2.5 cups sugar, divided
- 2.5 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2.5 cups milk, divided
- 1 cup starter
- 1/2 cup sugar + 1.5teaspoons ground cinnamon for dusting the pan
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large box instant vanilla pudding
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
For the Starter
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water and allow to sit ten minutes (mixture will turn frothy.)
- In another nonmetal bowl combine flour and sugar and mix well. Slowly stir in milk, then yeast mixture.
- Allow to sit until bubbly then add to a gallon plastic bag and follow the instructions on the printable, squeezing the bag once a day to stir days 2-4, feeding one cup each of sugar, flour, and milk.
- Squeeze again once per day days 6-9.
- On day 10 add 1.5 cups each sugar, flour, and milk and stir.
- Reserve one cup for your baking and divide the remaining starter into 3 gallon plastic bags: one to continue feeding and 2 for gifting.
For the Bread
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit
- Grease two large bread pans.
- Mix 1/2 cup sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon and dust greased pans with the mixture, tapping out excess into a bowl for later.
- Mix remaining ingredients in a large nonmetal bowl until smooth.
- Pour evenly in the two pans and top with remaining cinnamon sugar.
- Bake 50-60 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
- starter can be frozen to save for later, once thawed that is the new day 1
- nutritional information is for final baked bread
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 408
- Sugar: 32.3 g
- Sodium: 511.6 mg
- Fat: 16.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 58.2 g
- Protein: 7.1 g
- Cholesterol: 87.9 mg
Keywords: Friendship, bread, amish