For YEARS I’ve been attempting to make pumpkin flavored Rice Krispie treats-years people! They always turned out too soggy, with a stale taste to them. Not good. This year I’ve done it though-I finally figured out how to make crispy, perfectly gooey, autumn spiced Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treats and I’m super excited to share the recipe with you today!
There are two secrets to making these Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treats turn out properly. The first is removing the moisture from the pumpkin puree. Pumpkin has so much moisture in it (part of the reason that recipes like these Pumpkin Muffins or these Pumpkin Doughnut Holes turn out so well!) When it comes to Rice Krispie Treats though, that moisture can cause the treats to turn out soggy. The solution is incredibly high tech and fancy (joking!!) To remove the moisture simply blot the pumpkin puree between layers of paper towels until it’s firm. You’ll be surprised how much moisture you can get out of that tiny 1/4 cup of pumpkin, I went through probably ten paper towels blotting!
The second secret to making these treats turn out well is to allow the marshmallows to cool to about room temperature before mixing with the cereal. This helps keep the treats crispy and prevents that icky stale taste I’ve had from some other recipe variations.
The end result: crispy, sticky, pumpkin perfection!
I hope you enjoy them!Print
Give your favorite treat an autumn twist with this Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treat recipe-perfect for fall parties!
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 10 oz bag mini marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Measure pumpkin out on layers of paper towels. Blot until moisture stops seeping out. Set aside.
- Spray a 9″ by 13″ pan with non stick spray. (Use a smaller pan for thicker treats.)
- In a medium saucepan heat butter until melted. Add pumpkin, vanilla and spices and stir to combine. Add marshmallows and stir until melted. Remove from heat.
- Add cereal to large bowl. When marshmallow mixture cools to room temperature (about 30 minutes) pour over cereal and mix well. Spread mixture in the prepare pan and allow to set at least 30 minutes before cutting.
- Blotting the pumpkin and allowing the marshmallow mixture to cool are essential to preventing treats from being soggy-do not skip these steps!
- Spray mixing bowl and spatula with nonstick spray for easier mixing and cleanup!
Keywords: pumpkin rice krispie bars
Want more great recipes?
Join our community of over 20,000 everyday cooks and I'll send you an eCookbook with 13 of my favorite desserts as a welcome gift!