This Lemon Ice Cream Pie is the perfect dessert for lemon lovers. Lemon gelato and vanilla ice cream are nestled in an amazing lemon OREO crust, the pie is topped with whipped cream.
Every year I ask my husband what kind of cake he’d like for his birthday and usually he answers “lemon cake,” his favorite. (Like in this post from last year’s post on hacking box cake mix!)
This year the hot weather must have influenced him because he requested a lemon ICE CREAM cake. I had to do a double take because I’d never heard of an actual lemon ice cream cake and sure enough I couldn’t find a premade one anywhere, so a blogger’s gotta do what a blogger’s gotta do-I had to make my own!
I came up with this delicious frozen lemon pie for him and it’s a keeper! Full of lemon flavor right down to the lemon Oreo cookie crust, if you’re a lemon lover I dare you not to fall in love!
- lemon Oreos
- lemon ice cream, I used Limoncello Gelato
- vanilla ice cream
- whipped cream
- lemon for garnish if desired
Step by step
- The Lemon OREO cookies make the best base for this delicious pie crust. The OREOs are pulsed in the food processor, then combined with melted butter to for the crust.
- The crust is then topped with lemon gelato, vanilla ice cream, and whipped cream (each with one hour in between) for an out-of-this world dessert you’ll find yourself making time and again!
TIP: The actual active time to make this pie is only about 30 minutes, but you will need to let it freeze an hour after you add each of the three layers to the pie, so account for that in your prep time.
You can choose to use all lemon ice cream if you like, just add a ½ pint to the amount listed in the recipe. You may also need to extend the freezing time to account for the thicker layer.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the freezer up to 3 days.
If making this recipe ahead of time, wrap with plastic wrap or store in an airtight container in the freezer after allow the whipped cream to freeze for one hour.
If you’ve tried this recipe please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
This Lemon Ice Cream Pie is the perfect dessert for lemon lovers. Made with lemon gelato and vanilla ice cream nestled in an amazing lemon OREO crust, the pie is topped with whipped cream.
- 1 package lemon Oreos
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 1 pint lemon ice cream, I used Limoncello Gelato
- ½ pint vanilla ice cream
- 1 ½ cup whipped cream
- lemon for garnish if desired
- Remove lemon ice cream to counter to soften.
- Pulse Oreos in a food processor or blender until they are finely crumbed.
- Microwave butter for one minute or until melted in a medium bowl.
- Mix Oreo crumbs and melted butter until uniform.
- Press crumb mixture into a springform pan or pie pan to form the crust.
- Layer lemon ice cream over crust to form the bottom layer of the pie.
- Place pie in freezer for one hour.
- Five minutes prior to removing pie from freezer remove vanilla ice cream from freezer to soften.
- Spread vanilla ice cream over the lemon ice cream to form the second layer of the pie.
- Again, replace in freezer for at least an hour to harden.
- Lastly spread the whipped cream over the ice cream layers.
- Garnish with lemon zest if desired and freeze for one hour before serving.
Keywords: lemon ice cream pie