Pssst….I have a secret. Do you want to know how to occupy your kids for an hour without them looking at a screen. Yes, it’s possible. Simply ask them if they want to make this easy homemade KoolAid play dough! That’s what I did with my three boys last week when the rain wouldn’t stop and it was a huge hit-it bought me tons of Mommy time while they joyfully made pizzas, snakes, etc and occupied themselves. It was glorious!
This play dough is very easy to make-the kids can help, just be careful of the heat and make sure they let it cool down a bit after you take it off the stove so no little hands get burned. It’s easy to switch the colors up by changing out KoolAid flavors and you can get more intense coloring if you double up the KoolAid as well.
A few tips:
- if you take your dough off the heat and realize it’s too sticky simply pop it back in the pan for a few more minutes
- the pan will be much easier to clean if you let it soak in water for about 10 minutes before cleaning-trust me on this one!
- I have not found this to stain hands or surfaces (which was a big concern for me when I first tried it) but I can’t say that I’ve tried all the different flavors of KoolAid over the years so I recommend testing it first just to be on the safe side.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup table salt
- 2 tablespoons cream of tartar-in the spice aisle
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- Kool Aid packet of your choice-use more than one packet for a more intense color
Mix the all ingredients in a small pan. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly. When the dough becomes a ball remove from heat and allow to cool. Knead the dough until it’s uniform. Store in an air tight container.
If your kids like playdoh they might also really like this cool homemade slime (also called Non-Newtonian liquid-so you can get a bonus science lesson in!)