My husband has spent three years deployed in the Middle East and during his time there developed a love for Chai tea. I love hot and cold tea but had never tried Chai tea until he introduced it to me a few years ago. I loved it of course and since we all know about my coffeehouse aversions (see my Starbucks copycat Pumpkin Spice Latte or Lemon Loaf for more on that!) I wanted to figure out a homemade version. When a friend posted a slow cooker Chai tea recipe on Facebook last week I used hers as a jumping point to develop my own homemade Chai tea latte recipe using what I had on hand. The results were pretty tasty and the cost is less than $2 a cup!Print
Save your money by creating your own homemade Chai tea concentrate at home in less than an hour!
- 4 cups milk (cow, coconut or almond)
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp honey or agave nectar
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 4 star anise
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp whole cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 family size black tea bags
- Add all ingredients to a small saucepan and heat over medium high heat until boiling, stirring often.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove from heat and let steep for additional 40 minutes.
- Strain mixture and store in refrigerater up to one week.
- To make Chai Tea latte, mix concentrate 1:1 with milk-warm or over ice.
Keywords: chai, tea, latte
Do you have a chai tea recipe of your own? I’d love to hear your version-there seem to be so many options out there!